Santa Cruz Independent Media Center Editorial Policy
We have consensed on the following guidelines to help us decide what postings are appropriate and what are not. We believe that these guidelines will help to make the moderating process a clearer one for IMC volunteers, for anyone who self-publishes, and finally an unencumbered, useful and open newswire for readers worldwide.
We especially encourage people to publish:
- Well written and researched, timely articles
- Eyewitness accounts of actions and demonstrations
- Coverage of Monterey Bay area issues
- Media analysis
- Investigative reports exposing injustice
- Stories on events affecting underrepresented groups
- Media produced from within underrepresented groups
- Stories with national or global significance
- Stories on people or projects working towards social and economic justice
- Original, under-reported stories of local, regional, national, or global importance.
The Santa Cruz IMC editorial working group, in order to maintain the integrity of the Newswire and the media commons it creates for our community of participants, may hide or delete posts to the Newswire at their discretion. For example, posts that contain blatantly racist, sexist, homophobic, or other hateful material intended to objectify, intimidate, or injure traditionally oppressed or under-represented groups or that link to websites that advocate the same, may be hidden or deleted.
Posts that contain commercial offerings, advertising, or links to products for sale will be hidden or deleted at the discretion of the editors.
SC-IMC volunteers reserve the right to alter or amend this editorial policy without prior notice. Any alterations or amendments to this policy will be indicated by a notice posted on our Newswire.
This editorial policy is based in part on the policy of New York City IMC.
NYC-IMC Editorial Policy
Members of the Santa Cruz Indymedia editorial collective do our best to moderate the Newswire in the manner described above. We welcome our community of indymedia participants to contact us at scimc (at) indymedia.org with comments or questions about Newswire moderation.
Santa Cruz Indymedia working groups are always looking to expand their membership. If you'd like to become involved, please attend one of our meetings.
- Santa Cruz Indpendent Media Center volunteers
(8/28/04) Added line about commercial offerings.
Return to Information Library