Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Features

News :: Gender & Sexuality : Government & Elections : Labor & Economics

Gay Marriage Advocates in Santa Cruz Celebrate Judge Kramer's Ruling

On March 15, 2005, The GLBT Alliance, a Santa Cruz queer political organization, held a rally at the Town Clock to celebrate a decision in San Francisco Superior Court that same-sex marriage could be legal in California. Superior Court Judge Richard Kramer ruled that sections 300 and 308.5 of family law codes violate equal protection, that the marriage statutes discriminate on the basis of gender and sexual orientation, and that they violate the fundamental right to marry.

I attended the Santa Cruz rally and spoke with Thomas Leavitt, co-chair of The GLBT Alliance. (4:56 / 2.3 MB)

Audio: Listen to the Stream or Download the mp3

Read more same-sex marriage news and commentary on Indybay's Queer page

More...

News :: Civil & Human Rights : Education & Youth : Gender & Sexuality

Students and Teachers Speak Out to Make SVHS a Safe Space

More than 300 students, parents, teachers, and administrators turned out at Scotts Valley High School on February 7 for a special board meeting to address charges that the school promotes a "Gay Agenda." Board members determined that Scotts Valley High is acting in compliance with AB 537, The California Student Safety and Violence Prevention Act of 2000 which prohibits discrimination and harassment on the basis of actual or perceived sexual orientation and gender identity in California public schools.

By far the most moving and important words came from students and from teachers. They spoke of the need for open dialogue and education about issues regarding safety and respect. They spoke of the ways they have gone about creating a space for this dialogue and education. They showed that there are problems at the school and that the faculty and administration have identified ways that they can and should be dealt with. They spoke of vandalism, intimidation, fear, violence, name-calling, intolerance. They spoke of communication, solutions, encouraging discussion, education, and dialogue. In short, they demonstrated before the large assembled crowd that they are doing their jobs in a way that deserves our applause.

Audio: Scotts Valley Parents Protest Gay Tolerance
Audio: Scotts Valley School Board Coverage
Photos and Reportback: Scotts Valley High's students and teachers speak out!
Photos: Community Comes Together To Support Through Differences
Photos: Respect All Families

More...

News :: Arts & Culture : Gender & Sexuality : Resistance & Tactics

Mattilda: That's Revolting! Queer Strategies for Resisting Assimilation

On February 3, 2005, Mattilda, a.k.a. Matt Bernstein Sycamore, spoke at Bookshop Santa Cruz. Mattilda is the editor of a 37 author anthology called,"That’s Revolting! Queer Strategies for Resisting Assimilation."

Mattilda spoke on a variety of topics, including gay marriage and assimilation, challenging power, and the rejection of queer youth from established gay districts such as the Castro in San Francisco. I began recording as Mattilda was talking about a recent book reading in Atlanta, Georgia.

Audio: Listen to the Stream or Download the mp3 (length 31:41 / 14.5 MB)

[ Mattilda I Gay Shame SF I Gay Shame - A Radical Alternative; by Mattilda ]

More...   (3 comments)

News :: Civil & Human Rights : Education & Youth : Gender & Sexuality

Allies Needed at Scotts Valley School Board Meeting

Keep Loving, Keep Fighting! For the last two and a half years at Scotts Valley High School, teachers have been fighting intolerance targeted specifically at LGBTI & Questioning students, out teachers, and allies. Teachers have placed posters regarding respect for the LGBT community in their classrooms; there have been PA announcements sponsored by the student diversity group regarding LGBT community events; and in-class distribution of the SVHS student newspaper, which has run student-written editorials representing both sides of various LGBT issues.

A parent, Mr. D'Andrea, whose child attends SVHS, is working closely with the right-wing Pacific Justice Institute. He has now threatened to sue the district over its supposed promotion of a "gay agenda."

There is a special board meeting that has been called for Feb 7 at 6:00 pm at Scotts Valley High School's Student Union.

Anti-gay activists have vowed to show up in force. Your presence during this special meeting will show that there is support for a safe learning environment for all students.

[ Leer mas en espanol I Request from an openly gay teacher at SVHS ]

Resources: [ California Student Safety and Violence Prevention I Make It Real I California Safe Schools Coalition I Safe Schools Project of SCC ]

More...

News :: Gender & Sexuality : Government & Elections

California Court Rules SF Same-Sex Marriages are Void

On August 12, the California State Supreme Court ruled that San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom lacked the authority to issue same-sex marriage licenses, and therefore that the marriages that took place are void. Over 3900 same-sex couples were married at SF City Hall earlier this year. However, the court did not rule on the issue of whether or not same-sex marriages should be legal. Protests were held in cities all over the state. In Santa Cruz, people gathered at the Town Clock. (announcement and discussion)

Photos: 1 I 2 I Audio

[ GLBT Alliance I Diversity Center I Marriage Equality California I Indybay's LGBTQI Page ]

More...

Articles

LOCAL News :: Education & Youth : Gender & Sexuality : Peace & War

Discrimination Is Unacceptable to Students Against War

On October 18, military recruiters returned to UC Santa Cruz for the first time since they were rallied off campus by Students Against War on April 5, 2005. Students Against War organized a protest and hundreds of people rallied and marched to the College 9/10 Dining Hall. The Military and UC held the career fair on the second story of the building and had numerous police officers and administrators guarding the stairs and entrance to the career fair.

Read the full article...   (7 comments)

LOCAL News :: Education & Youth : Gender & Sexuality : Peace & War : Resistance & Tactics

Photos of the Queer Kiss-In Against Military Recruitment at UCSC

"A Queer Kiss-in was staged in front of recruiters' tables during the march and rally. From inside the fair, kissers were able to effectively block access to military recruiters without shutting down the entire career fair." - santacruz.indymedia.org/newswire/display/18797/index.php

Read the full article...   (11 comments)

LOCAL News :: Education & Youth : Gender & Sexuality : Peace & War

Military Recruiting Protested During UCSC's Career Fair

offcampus_10-18-05.jpgOn October 18, military recruiters returned to UC Santa Cruz for the first time since they were rallied off campus by Students Against War on April 5, 2005. Students Against War organized a protest and hundreds of people rallied and marched to the College 9/10 Dining Hall. The Military and UC held the career fair on the second story of the building and had numerous police officers and administrators guarding the stairs and entrance to the career fair. At least one uniformed police officer was video tapping demonstrators.

Read the full article...   (7 comments)

LOCAL News :: Education & Youth : Gender & Sexuality : Peace & War : Resistance & Tactics

Rally, Queer Kiss-in Greet Military Recruiters at UCSC

Read the full article...   (24 comments)

UC Santa Cruz Students to March Against Discriminatory Military Recruitment

Read the full article...

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds

Account Login

This site made manifest by dadaIMC software