Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Articles

LOCAL News :: Education & Youth : Labor & Economics

Rockin' the Boat: Statewide Student Walkout

Thousands of people took part in a statewide action, April 20, to protest budget cuts to education.

Read the full article...

LOCAL News :: Education & Youth

Wednesday afternoon at Tent University Santa Cruz

On Wednesday April 20, there were workshops and presentations at Tent University Santa Cruz. I came late to a presenation about the eploitation of workers in maquiladoras (sweatshop factories) and the way that workers are organizing to form networks of resistance and awareness. Strategies were discussed for pressuring the UC and other institutions into making socially-responsible purchases.

Lunch was really great. We had veggie patties, hummus, mixed salad, cabbage and a mixture of peanut butter and banana. Both meals I eat at TUSC were very healthy and delicious. I wish I had a community like that to eat with more often! After lunch, I learned a little bit about Moutain Justice Summer which is taking place in the Appalachia mountains.

Around 7:30pm, we gathered in the big white tent to discuss where we would sleep and what we would do. Cari was kind enough to come down to Santa Cruz from the Bay Area to give tips on DIY legal observation and coordination. She stressed the importance of documenation and the vital role played by independent media makers during Monday night's altercation with the UC Administration and Police. At about 8:15pm, we decided to march as a group to the Quarry Ampitheater where we continued discussing both short and long-term goals for our university and our lives.

Read the full article...

Walkout for Education moves to Ocean and Water Streets

watsonvilleyouth_4-20-05.jpgOn April 20, after people held a rally for education at the Santa Cruz County Building, they decided to take their messages to the corners of Ocean and Water Streets.

Read the full article...

Walkout for Education at the County Building

fucktheregents_4-20-05.jpgOn April 20, about 150 people marched from the base of the UCSC campus to the County Building in downtown Santa Cruz. Once at the County Building, there were a rally with elementary students and parents from Watsonville, students from Santa Cruz High School, UCSC students and supportive members of the Santa Cruz community.

Read the full article...

Students and Workers Take Over Streets!

This wednesday students and workers marched through Santa Cruz city streets, from UCSC to the county buildings, in a statewide protest against the budget cuts to education. The march was organized by the Action In Defense of Education (AIDE) network.

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds

Account Login

This site made manifest by dadaIMC software