Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Features

News :: Education & Youth : Police State : Resistance & Tactics : Transportation

Santa Cruz Night Out - 8/12, 8/19, and 8/26

Santa Cruz Night Out 8-12-03 Children in the Street.jpgSanta Cruz Night Out is a community based event downtown where families and visitors will enjoy a variety of events showcasing the diverse cultural talents of Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz Night Out is planned for three Tuesday nights in August from 5:00 - 8:00 pm. The purpose of Santa Cruz Night Out is to create an open-air street fair atmosphere on Pacific Avenue (between Cathcart and Lincoln Streets) for families to enjoy while invigorating downtown businesses on a weeknight.

Many in Santa Cruz are interested in events downtown that will enrich our community while helping local businesses. Recent downtown issues and the resulting negative publicity, combined with the economic downturn have taken a toll on the health of Pacific Avenue. Santa Cruz Night Out will hope to address the issues above.

Would you like to see the diverse talents of Santa Cruz displayed in your downtown? Would you like to experience downtown from a whole different perspective? Wonder what Pacific Avenue would be with less cars cruising the street and more space for the community to gather?

[ Discussion and Details of Santa Cruz Night Out I Photos: (8/12) 1 - 2 I (8/19) 3 I (8/26) 4 ]

More...   (1 comment)

News :: Civil & Human Rights : Education & Youth : Environment & Food : Globalization & Capitalism : Health & Drugs : Peace & War : Resistance & Tactics

Photos from the Hiroshima Day Commemoration

Hiroshima Day Commemoration in Santa Cruz

At 8.15am August 6, 1945, a nuclear bomb was exploded 500 metres above the city of Hiroshima. It is estimated 140,000 people, mainly women, old men and children, died directly and in the few months after the bomb exploded. Its effects can still be seen today in the survivors and their descendants. Saturday August 9 is the anniversary of the nuclear bombing of the city of Nagasaki. Historical research shows the use of nuclear weapons could have been avoided, and all those deaths prevented, if diplomatic alternatives had been properly pursued. The USA continues to use nuclear weapons of mass destruction, as in depleted uranium munitions, used recently in Iraq.

More...

News :: Education & Youth : Environment & Food : Resistance & Tactics

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA PASSES GROUND-BREAKING CLEAN ENERGY POLICY

cen-logo_corner2.gifThe University of California Board of Regents voted unanimously today in favor of a Clean Energy and Green Building policy that sets a new bar nationally for environmental leadership by any institution. This vote follows the year-long 鈥淯C Go Solar!鈥? campaign run by students across the state and Greenpeace.

[ Clean Energy Now I Sustainability Coalition I Student Environmental Center at UCSC ]

More...   (3 comments)

News :: Education & Youth

UC Manages Armageddon

A History of the Labs

The model example of military university collaborative research is the inception, design, and creation of the atomic bomb. Conceived and developed by University of California, the creation of the most deadly device ever made was a product of research funded by the military and conducted by an elite group of America's university scientists, professors and graduate students.

Since the Los Alamos Laboratory opened its doors in 1943, every single nuclear weapon built for the United States arsenal was designed at a University of California managed weapons laboratory. The history of the development of Los Alamos and the second National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore laid the foundation for the last fifty years of military research and development conducted on America's college campuses.

[ Full Story I !Escrache! I Fiat Pax ]

More...

Announcement :: Education & Youth

Labor for Peace, Justice, and Civil Liberties

Wed. 3/26 - Santa Cruz City Schools - proposal to stop giving student names to military recruiters without student's consent. Support this student-initiated proposal by packing the School Board meeting. 6:00pm, 2901 Mission St. Extension, 1 block west of Hwy 1 at Western Drive, far westside Santa Cruz.

Fri. 3/28 - Youth Action Coalition (high school & college students) Peace Rally & March, 4:00 - 6:00pm at the Santa Cruz town clock.

Sat. 3/29 - Family Outing with a Cause. Santa Cruz town clock at 1:00pm, march to rally at Raymond Street Park in Beach Flats at 2:00pm, 3:00pm march to Lighthouse.

Sun. 3/30 - Cesar Chavez Day in Salinas. Join United Farm Workers in celebrating the life of Cesar, demonstrate for world peace, justice for farmworkers, drivers licenses for undocumented workers. Great opportunity to build solidarity across the region and across issues. Carpools and busses leave from Santa Cruz County Bldg (Ocean & Water) at 10:30 am. Bus tickets at RCNV 423-1626

Labor for Peace: Upcoming Actions

More...

Articles

News :: Education & Youth : Globalization & Capitalism : Peace & War

Carnegie Mellon Red Team: Funded by Caterpillar, for DARPA

Caterpillar Incorporated furthers its support of a Carnegie Mellon project to create a driverless vehicle to negotiate off-road in the Nevada desert.

Read the full article...   (2 comments)

News :: Civil & Human Rights : Education & Youth : Globalization & Capitalism

MAS FOTOS: No Mas Rechazados en Oaxaca || No More Denied Students in Oaxaca

READ THE FULL STORY AND SEE MORE PHOTOS AT:

LEER ARTICULO Y VER MAS FOTOS...

No Mas Rechazados, No al Plan Ju谩rez en Oaxaca || No More Denied Students, No to Plan Juarez in Oaxaca

Read the full article...

News :: Education & Youth : Globalization & Capitalism : Government & Elections

No Mas Rechazados, No al Plan Ju谩rez en Oaxaca || No More Denied Students, No to Plan Juarez in Oaxaca

Me encuentro en la Plazuela del Carmen, entonces escucho susurros, que se hacen m谩s fuertes. -"...educaci贸n primero al hijo del obrero, educaci贸n despu茅s al hijo del burgu茅s...". Camino aprisa para encontrarme con la marcha de estudiantes de la UABJO (Universidad Aut贸noma Benito Ju谩rez de Oaxaca), j贸venes no mayores de 25 a帽os que caminan en dos filas, en medio de estas marcha la gente con pancartas, que acusan al rector Neri de utilizar el Plan Ju谩rez, para disminuir la calidad de la educaci贸n, algunas de las propuestas de este plan son: privatizar la educaci贸n, aumento de cuotas, recorte de matriculas, eliminar el derecho de los estudiantes para poder elegir a su director, entre otras cosas. Lee m谩s...

I was in the Carmen Plaza and I heard whistling and the chants were getting louder, 鈥溾ducation first for the children of the workers, educucation later for the children of the rich鈥.鈥? I quickly walked to encounter the march of students of the UABJO (Benito Ju谩rez Autonomous University of Oaxaca), youth no older than 25 years that were walking in two lines, in the middle of the march was the students that were carrying large signs accusing the director of the university, Neri, of using Plan Juarez to decrease the quality of the education. Some of the main points of this plan are: privatize the education, increase the tuition, decrease the number of students, eliminate the students麓 rights to elect their director, and other such cutbacks in overall quality of the education.

English Translation || Texto de Aviador || Fotos || Mas Fotos

Read the full article...   (5 comments)

LOCAL Announcement :: Education & Youth : Resistance & Tactics

Saturday: Free Self Defense Workshop / Sabado: Clase Gratis sobre Auto Defensa

Free Skool Santa Cruz features a workshop this Saturday: effective, simple, and practical self defense.
Escuela Gratis Santa Cruz presenta una clase este Sabado: Auto Defensa util, simple, y que sirve bien.

Read the full article...   (2 comments)

LOCAL Announcement :: Education & Youth : Environment & Food

Youth Volunteer Opportunity (8/24)

Learn more about Santa Cruz's native habitat in Loch Lomond as you remove non-native brush.

Read the full article...

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds

Account Login

This site made manifest by dadaIMC software