Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Features

Announcement :: Civil & Human Rights

Santa Cruz 9/11 Truth Network Events at the Vets Hall

If you question "the official story," don't miss these events!!

Tuesday, November 23 – Film.
“The Great Conspiracy: The 9/11 News Special You Never Saw.?
Toronto journalist Barrie Zwicker’s well-researched film traces the background of other 9/11 type events in recent history and reveals numerous anomalies that would lead any reasonable person to question the veracity of the "official story.?

Wednesday, December 1 – Speaker / Multimedia Presentation.
Ken Jenkins’ “Perspectives on 9/11: Exposing the Lies of the Official Story and Seeking the Truth.?
Using excerpts from eleven videos, the award winning Bay area media producer explores the historical context as well as what really happened on September 11, 2001.

Where and When: 7:30pm - Veterans' Hall, 846 Front St., S. C.
Donation of $5. (no one turned away).
Discussion after events.

see related: [ NO EVIDENCE OF 757 HITTING PENTAGON I Portland IMC's 911 Investigation I Mike Ruppert: The Truth and Lies of 9/11 ]

More...

Announcement :: Civil & Human Rights : Globalization & Capitalism : Labor & Economics

Low-wage Service Workers at UCSC Need Your Support to Win a Fair Contract!

On Wednesday November 10th, the Members of Local 3299 AFSCME will be having a major rally when UC representatives come to the campus for state-wide bargaining. The rally will take place at 12:00 noon in front of the Baytree Bookstore on the UCSC campus.

Over 7,000 UC Service Workers and Local 3299 AFSCME Members serve food; clean bathrooms, dorms, labs, offices, and hospitals; drive shuttle buses, and park cars at the nine UC campuses and five medical centers. Their contract with UC expired June 30, 2004, and UC has so far rejected all proposals to improve it. Workers are demanding more support for the quality services that we provide, a fair pay system with steps that respect our years of experience, and a real chance to advance.

The median wage for UC Service Workers is $12.05 per hour, and 22% earn less than $10 per hour. Here at UCSC, 93% of the 550 Service Workers earn less than the living wage for Santa Cruz County of $16.88 as determined by the California Budget Project. And like many UC workers, they are laid off during holiday and summer breaks.

Flyer

coverage from 5/20/04: UC Workers Hold Statewide Marches

More...   (14 comments)

Announcement :: Alternative Media : Arts & Culture : Civil & Human Rights

'THE FOURTH WORLD WAR' comes to California

While American airwaves are crowded with talk of a new war – narrated by generals and filmed from the noses of bombs – the human face of war is rarely seen. THE FOURTH WORLD WAR is a powerful new film from the makers of 'This Is What Democracy Looks Like', 'Zapatista', and 'Black & Gold'. It weaves together the stories of movements against empire from Palestine, Iraq, Chiapas, Argentina, South Africa, South Korea to Quebec City and Genoa.

The product of over two years of filming, The Fourth World War is a new kind of film for a new world. The intensity and immediacy of its images are beyond anything the mainstream media can shoot, the intimacy and passion of its stories are beyond anything it can feel. Directed by the award winning New York-based Big Noise Films, and narrated by Tony Award winner Suheir Hammad and Singer Michael Franti of Spearhead, it is a radical story of hope and human connection in the face of a war that shatters and divides.

[ The Fourth World War - a big noise film I VIEW TRAILER ]

"I think THE FOURTH WORLD WAR should be the center-piece of all political education for left activists in the present period. It really is that good."
-- Van Jones, National Executive Director - Ella Baker Center For Human Rights

More...   (6 comments)

Commentary :: Civil & Human Rights : Education & Youth : Government & Elections

Say You Want A Revolution! East Side, West Side: Logic on Why One Should Vote

I asked my ridiculously well informed friend to write this article for me according to this prompt:

"David, no one gives a fuck about voting. So what the hell do you tell someone? I know I could rave on about women's rights/human rights and issues pertaining to that, but what the hell do you tell some overprivileged, unaware, probably half-drunk probably white probably male college kid who has probably never had to work or earn his way... how do you stoke something in that person, to vote?"

This is what he so eloquently replied with: Read the full reply...

see related articles: [ Why I'm not voting for Emily Reilly I Anyone going out on Nov. 3rd? I Liberation News Voter Recommendations I FRSC and Critical Mass Radio Network - sElection 2004 I Election Special: Behind California's Proposition 66 I Old Enough to Care, Too Young to Vote I Mark Fogel hates the homeless I Dump the Kennedy Council I City Council candidates interviewed on FRSC! I 16 propositions, 1 ballot. Confused? Last-minute links and info for voters. ]

More...   (14 comments)

Announcement :: Civil & Human Rights : Police State : Resistance & Tactics

Concerned Citizens Form Copwatch in Watsonville

Watsonville, CA October 18, 2004 --- Copwatch, a nonviolent group to observe and monitor police activities is being formed by Watsonville citizens concerned about police misconduct and abuse of power in the Watsonville community. Following examples set by other Copwatch groups across the nation, members of Watsonville Copwatch, concerned with the lack of police accountability, will launch observation patrols and "Know-Your-Rights" trainings in order to increase the community's oversight of police activities.

see also: Santa Cruz Copwatch

related audio: Andrea Prichett on Community Justice and Police Alternatives

More...   (9 comments)

Articles

LOCAL News :: Civil & Human Rights : Education & Youth : Resistance & Tactics

Activist Renews Holiday Fast in Protest

An on-again-off-again Monterey Bay area writer and education critic has renewed his Ghandian nonvioolent tactic of fasting on major holidays this Hanukah/Christman/Kwanza. Occasionally critical of UCSC and Montery, Arjuna has drwan the wrath of Santa Barbara Community College official who issued an edict banning him from campus on "utterly trumped up charges that read like they are straight from the Keystone Cops."

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

News :: Civil & Human Rights

Jeff "Free" Luers Legal Update and Dispatch

Jeff has new information about his legal battle and a dispatch for his supporters.

Read the full article...

LOCAL News :: Civil & Human Rights : Globalization & Capitalism

Happy Holidays... to Everyone

While families get together to celebrate the holidays this season, and corporations smile at their record profits, many Santa Cruzans won't be seeing any gifts, food, or even a warm place to sleep.

In this 'season of giving' (so are all other seasons, times for 'not giving'?), iPods, XBoxes, jewelry and golf clubs, find their way under trees (dead or petrolium-based plastic) or next to the latkes or candle stick holders. Yet, although everything made in overseas sweatshops are brought into the home, our own homeless population remain mostly-forgotten on the street.

The whole year is a 'season of giving' for capitalism.

Happy Holidays.

Read the full article...   (14 comments)

News :: Civil & Human Rights

Cycorp Most Likely Involved in NSA Spying on Telecommunications

Private defense contractor Cycorp announced in 2003 a project that exactly matches the description of the illegal Bush program using the NSA to spy on Americans. Moreover, Cycorp was in negotiations with the NSA for a project approximately one year before CNN covered this announcement.

Commentary :: Civil & Human Rights : Police State

A Prayer for Justice

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged...

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds

Account Login

This site made manifest by dadaIMC software