Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Features

Announcement :: Alternative Media

Gadabout Film Festival at Barrios Unidos on 10/12; Benefit for Free Radio Santa Cruz

The Gadabout Film Festival took place on Tuesday, October 12, from 5:30 - 9:30 PM at Barrios Unidos located at 1817 Soquel Avenue.

The Gadabout is a nationally touring film festival that seeks to open new avenues of distribution for truly independent filmmakers that get pushed aside by Hollywood and the commercial film festival circuit. Focusing on short, mostly "low to no budget" films, the Gadabout offers an alternative to the cliche world of commercial film.

Photos: Local Poets at the Gadabout Traveling Film Festival
Song and Photos: Kiss Ups Rock Out at Barrios Unidos

[ Gadabout Traveling Film Festival I Girls Not Chicks I Free Radio Santa Cruz ]

More...   (3 comments)

Critical Mass Radio Network

Critical Mass Radio Network is an attempt to bring together community radio stations for a shared, coordinated, decentralized network broadcast. It is a network of autonomous radio communities who provide the programming and infrastructure for the network. Initially, CMRN plans to broadcast on the last Friday of the month.

The first Critical Mass Radio Network broadcast will take place on August 27, 2004 with the participation of Kill Radio (LA), Radio Active Radio (SD), Free Radio Santa Cruz, NYC IMC Sound, Enemy Combatant Radio (SF Bay) and Portland IMC Radio. The Republican National Convention in New York City will be the theme of the coordinated broadcast.

Critical Mass Radio Broadcast Friday!!

Audio: [ PSA for Critical Mass Radio Network's 1st Broadcast I CritMass Radio Network Station ID I DNC2RNC audio collage I Freak Radio Santa Cruz segment ]

More...

Free Radio Santa Cruz Benefit Film Screening on Aug 31

Free Radio Santa Cruz is Making Waves. On August 31, 7pm, at the RCNV there will be a benefit for Free Radio Santa Cruz. "Making Waves" is a new documentary by Michael Lahey about UNLICENSED MICROradio stations in Arizona and Michigan.

Making Waves reveals the pirates' personal and political passions that compel them to defy the FCC. As they confront the difficulties and risks of running an unlicensed station and take their fight for free speech into the open, the film invites the viewer to ask, 'If the public took back the airwaves, what would they sound like?'

Shorts of Free Radio Santa Cruz in the local news will also be shown.

Audio PSA: Download the mp3

[ Making Waves I Free Radio Santa Cruz I DIYmedia.net ]

More...   (1 comment)

News :: Alternative Media : Police State

Police Raid NYC Indymedia Video Team Benefit

A multi-agency task force shut down a NYC Indymedia video team benefit late Saturday night, sparking complaints that the action was politically motivated. "I don't think every single department showing up here was a coincidence," said Brandon Jourdan, a video team organizer. "But maybe it was or maybe it was not. People will have to decide for themselves."

Jourdan, who was dressed in black pajamas with a white skeleton running down his torso, said that the first undercover cop showed up at 5 p.m. three hours before the benefit began and that the space was swarming with police as well as members of the Department of Buildings and the Department of Health.

"They came in the middle of the party with flashlights and started pointing at holes in the ceiling and a ramp that they said shouldn't be there," said NYC IMC member Ana Nogueira. "...They could have come and inspected this at any time of day. They could've checked it months ago."

[ NYC IMC Video Team I FTAA IMC - The Miami Model I RNC Watch I A Call to Media Arms ]

More...   (1 comment)

Announcement :: Alternative Media : Arts & Culture : Education & Youth : Peace & War : Resistance & Tactics

Art in Action • Youth Power Arts Festival

An evening of original music, dance, theater and spoken word for peace, democracy and justice. Wednesday • August 25 • 7pm at the Santa Cruz Veterans’ Hall.

A Benefit for Art in Action Camp scholarships. Art in Action camps bring together young visionaries for 10 days to tell their stories, build community and cultivate positive alternatives to the madness of war and oppression. Through learning our histories, celebrating our cultures and linking the issues, we create a collaborative performance with giant puppets, hip-hop, dance, spoken word, and music to share with the community.

More...   (1 comment)

Articles

News :: Alternative Media

A Weekend of Networking at the LPFM Radio Roundup in Davis, California

On October 8th and 9th, KDRT hosted the Low Power FM Radio Roundup in Davis, California, an event which brought together volunteers from both long established and emerging community stations around California and Oregon.

The conference provided a space for volunteers from all these stations to network and share skills and experiences. The event included trainings in radio journalism, internet streaming, radio theater, and covered a variety of station management and legal issues.

More Photos: Click this link for more photos on Indybay.org

Read the full article...

LOCAL News :: Alternative Media

Hurricane Relief - List of Types of Donations Most Needed (as of 13 OCT 2005)

The Santa Cruz County based "Follow Your Heart" Hurricane Relief Team is currently collecting donations for their second trip to the Gulf Coast Regions severely impacted by recent hurricanes. Donation collections for person impacted by recent storms started on Wednesday October 5 at the Clock Tower in Downtown Santa Cruz. The collection station is staffed from 8am - 5 pm daily. "Follow Your Heart" has formed an alliance with "Doctors Without Hospitals." The latter organization was founded by Michael Lindley, a 2nd year medical student at Tulane University in New Orleans. Michael is origially from Visalia CA and spoke at the meeting at the Veteran's Hall in Santa Cruz on September 29, 2005. See: santacruz.indymedia.org/feature/display/17197/index.php

Donatations collected during the October campaign will help in meeting some of the needs being expressed in the areas through which the Santa Cruz County Based relief team will travel. See santacruz.indymedia.org/feature/display/17207/index.php for recent postings from a local traveling ahead of the relief team who is assessing the situation first-hand and reporting back to the team here on what items are needed most at this time.

The October Hurrican Relief team will leave Santa Cruz County on Wednesday, October 19th. Donations will be transported to the relief areas via tractor-trailer. The team hopes to leave the area with with a 53 ft trailer or or two 23 ft trailers, towed in tamdem. The following table describes the most urgent needs and types of donations being asked for:

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

News :: Alternative Media

Legislation in Washington Attacks Public Access TV

Three Bills now in the House and Senate could end public access TV in America.

Read the full article...

LOCAL News :: Alternative Media : Arts & Culture : Media Criticism : Technology

Local Public Radio Show featured on Yahoo! Podcast

Six months ago, KZSC's "The Sound of Young America" was the first public radio show West of the Mississippi to podcast. Today, it is the first public radio podcast to be selected as a staff pick in Yahoo! Inc.'s new podcasting portal, podcasts.yahoo.com. The program was one of only four podcasts worldwide to be so selected.

Read the full article...

LOCAL News :: Alternative Media : Arts & Culture : Government & Elections : Poverty & Urban Development

Santa Cruz Billboard Shows Remarkable Candor

The Billboard Liberation Front struck a prominent Highway 17 billboard today, correcting a Red Cross advertisement to reflect what became painfully apparent in the wake of hurricane Katrina.

Read the full article...   (16 comments)

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds

Account Login

This site made manifest by dadaIMC software