Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Features

Announcement :: Alternative Media

FCC Coming to Monterey on July 21

michaelpowellmini.jpgThe FCC announced Friday (6/18) that is has rescheduled the Localism Hearing in Monterery with the stated purpose to "gather information from consumers, industry, civic organizations, and others on broadcasters' service to their local communities." The hearings, scheduled originally for March 17th, were cancelled without comment.

These hearings are an extremely rare opportunity to tell the FCC about the state of your local media, how well your needs are being served, and how you feel about the increasing consolidation of media ownership. The FCC hears from broadcasters' lobbyists and lawyers every day. Help make sure they hear from the people on July 21!

Prepartion Meetings and Community Teach-Ins: Thursday (June 24) 5:30 PM in Monterey I Friday (June 25) 11:30 AM in Salinas and 5:00 PM in Santa Cruz

Audio: Rockin' the Boat: Jeff Perlstein on Media Reform (3/4/04)

More information from: [ Media-Alliance I Free Press I Reclaim The Media I FCC (.pdf) I The Center for Public Integrity ]

More...   (4 comments)

Announcement :: Alternative Media : Animal Rights : Environment & Food : Globalization & Capitalism : Resistance & Tactics

The End of Santa Cruz Earth First!?

scef.gifAs of Wednesday, 23 June, 2004, at 7 pm. Santa Cruz Earth First! will be gone - Unless you do something about it!

If any of you want to see Santa Cruz Earth First! continue, then you have to let the group know it.

You MUST come to the meeting on Wednesday, 23 June at 7 pm at 224 Walnut Ave (The HUB) Suite E (Upstairs over the Bike Church) or You MUST send a donation to Santa Cruz Earth First!, POB 344, Santa Cruz, CA 95061 that arrives before the meeting on June 23rd.

Don't send a reply email saying how much you want SCEF! to continue - SHOW UP OR SEND A DONATION!

If you want SCEF! to continue and are willing to participate, support it and be active, and show it, then SCEF! will live on.

A Quick Look Back: History of Santa Cruz Earth First! I SCEF! Fights for Jailed Comrade "Victim" I SC County Jail is Redecorated I Treesitters Needed NOW I EF! Tree-Sit in Ramsey Gulch! I Ramsey II Sitters Threatened at Gun Point I Treesitter Dies Defending Ramsey Gulch Ecosystem I EF! Organizers' Conference I SCEF! Climb Training I Earth First! Radio News (archives)

More...   (3 comments)

Announcement :: Alternative Media : Resistance & Tactics

Grassroots Radio Conference 9, Los Olivos, CA June 24 - 27

sbimc.jpgSanta Barbara Indymedia has been helping to organize this year's Grassroots Radio Conference taking place in Los Olivos, CA from June 24 - 27

The Grassroots Radio Conference brings together media activists and community radio people to share skills and knowledge in everything related to our work. This is the first time that the national conference has been held on the West Coast and the first time that it is being organized by a college radio station. The conference will draw on the DIY approach of community radio, utilizing a non-hierarchical workshop format in which all in attendance can actively participate.

[ Grassroots Radio Conference I KCSB-FM 91.9 I Santa Barbara Indymedia I ECR I Kill Radio I FRSC I Stop the NAB in San Diego ]

Help Sponsor a Freak Radio Santa Cruz DJ!

More...   (1 comment)

News :: Alternative Media

Indybay Print Collective presents: Fault Lines - Issue 1

For the past 4 years the muckrakers of the Bay Area IMC have been throwing fuel on the anti-corporate fire, producing segments for Enemy Combatant Radio and Street Level TV, while keeping all stripes of local radicals united through Indybay.org.

Fault Lines newspaper is the newest arm of the San Francisco Bay Area IMC octopus. Each issue brings you local and international stories and in-depth coverage found only in Fault Lines. You can submit your own article by publishing to Indybay.

Download the .pdf version of Fault Lines - Issue 1

5,000 copies have already hit the streets, including Dharma's, Santa Cruz Infoshop, Saturn Cafe, and Staff of Life.

[ Fault Lines I Indypendent from NYC-IMC ]

More...   (1 comment)

News :: Alternative Media

Corporate Power

corporation.jpgAccording to the film The Corporation, a corporation is simply a psychopath: Lying, harming others and not caring about it, unable to learn from mistakes, and more. Biotech croporations are just that: harming and threatening farmers around the world, destroying biodiversity - and yet they describe themselves as selling "Food, Health, Hope". (interviews)

Some 17,000 people from biotech companies from about 60 countries are meeting behind closed doors for the annual BIO convention to set up more contacts, sell their ideas, raise venture capital and convince journalists and the public that biotech is just great. To spin pro-biotech PR, corporate journalists were provided with story ideas a week before the conference started, while Indymedia journalists were denied press credentials due to writing from an "activist point of view".

For corporate journalists, BIO2004 started out on Sunday with a media brunch full of GM food and corporate lies, promoting GM crops as the weapon against obesity.

[ The Corporation I Corporate Watch ( US and UK ) I Lobby Watch I Reclaim The Commons ]

More...   (2 comments)

Articles

Announcement :: Alternative Media : Civil & Human Rights : Resistance & Tactics

Houston Volunteers and Families Displaced by Katrina Build Refugee Radio at Astrodome

Houston Volunteers and Families Displaced by Katrina Build 'Refugee Radio' at Houston Astrodome Need For 10,000 Radios Before Station Can Go On Air

Read the full article...

Commentary :: Alternative Media : Civil & Human Rights : Poverty & Urban Development

A God With Whom I am Not Familiar

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

News :: Alternative Media : Civil & Human Rights : Peace & War

NYC IMC’s Indypendent seeks help to expose truth

Friends,

The tragedy in New Orleans requires an immediate humanitarian response, one that has been criminally slow to date.

Read the full article...

News :: Alternative Media : Civil & Human Rights : Globalization & Capitalism

New Orleans: Private Property over People

New Orleans police ordered to stop saving lives and start saving property

Read the full article...

News :: Alternative Media : Civil & Human Rights : Police State

Utah "Rave" Raid on FRSC

FRSC coverage of Utah "Rave" Raid

Read the full article...   (7 comments)

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week