Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Features

Announcement :: Alternative Media : Civil & Human Rights : Peace & War : Resistance & Tactics

Brian Avery of the International Solidarity Movement to Speak in Santa Cruz

free_palestine.pngBrian Avery of the International Solidarity Movement will be speaking in Santa Cruz on Sunday, March 14, from 6:00 to 8:00 PM at the Resource Center for Nonviolence (515 Broadway at Ocean in Santa Cruz).

On April 5, 2003, Brian Avery was shot in the face by the Israeli Military while wearing a bright red jacket. When he raised himself from the ground, witnesses saw that his left cheek had almost been totally shot off.

Brian was in Jenin as a volunteer with the International Solidarity Movement. The ISM is a Palestinian-led movement of Palestinian and international activists working to raise awareness of the struggle for Palestinian freedom and an end to the Israeli occupation. ISM utilizes nonviolent, direct action to confront and challenge the illegal Israeli occupation forces and policies.

There will also be a showing of ‚ÄúDispatches: The Killing Zone.‚Ä? Filmmakers Sandra Jordan and producer Rodrigo Vasquez reveal the shocking level of daily violence in the Gaza Strip. They arrived in Rafah right after the murder of Rachel Corrie.

Tune in to Free Radio Santa Cruz on Sunday, March 14, at 3:00 PM for a live interview with Brian Avery.

[ Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions I Rabbis for Human Rights I Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories I Gush Shalom I Palestinian Monitor I Middle East Research and Information Project ]

More...   (28 comments)

News :: Alternative Media

Free Radio Santa Cruz Receives Award from SCAN

On February 13, SCAN held their annual awards dinner and ceremony in downtown Santa Cruz. Free Radio Santa Cruz was presented an award for best local radio station in defense of free speech.

SCAN, short for Santa Cruz Action Network, states they are the city's leading non-partisan grassroots organization devoted to organizing around local community issues.

Photos: SCAN Awards Ceremony

Audio: The History of Free Radio Santa Cruz

Free Radio Santa Cruz is looking for a new home

[ Free Radio Santa Cruz I Donate to FRSC I Archive of FRSC on SC-IMC ]

More...   (2 comments)

Announcement :: Alternative Media

Support the African Indymedia Conference

imc_africa.jpgThe imc-africa working group is seeking donations to support travel and other expenses of delegates to the upcoming African Indymedia conference in Dakar, Senegal, March 1-14. Without your help, delegates from all over Africa will not be able to come to the conference.

Since 1999 when the first Independent Media Center formed in the streets of Seattle the Indymedia network has grown by leaps and bounds. Much of that development has taken place in the Global North which has a well-developed multimedia structure that allows for quick and cheap media content. IMCs in some other parts of the world, notably South America, have grown by organizing non-hierarchically to make media, despite not having as much access to multimedia infrastructure.

On the other hand, Indymedia has grown very slowly in Africa. To give Indymedia Africa the push it needs, the imc-Africa working group, with support from other activists, is organizing an Alternative (Indymedia) Conference in Dakar, Senegal, from March 1 to 14.

More...

News :: Alternative Media : Resistance & Tactics

Santa Cruz Independent Media Center Updates Editorial Policy

We have consensed on the following guidelines to help us decide what postings are appropriate and what are not. We believe that these guidelines will help to make the moderating process a clearer one for IMC volunteers, for anyone who self-publishes, and finally an unencumbered, useful and open newswire for readers worldwide.

More...   (2 comments)

Announcement :: Alternative Media

Become The Media Radio

freak_radio.gif
A monthly program of edited radio shows from Free Radio Santa Cruz 96.3fm can be downloaded for FREE at www.freakradio.org in the Digital Archives section. There is so much great programming on FRSC! TUNE IN NOW!!

[ FRSC I Become the Media Radio (1 hour mp3) I Program Schedule ]

More...

Articles

LOCAL Announcement :: Alternative Media

Anarchist Literature!

Read the full article...   (2 comments)

LOCAL Announcement :: Alternative Media : Media Criticism : Peace & War

Amy Goodman Coming to Monterey, CA (7/7)

Amy Goodman, host of the national, daily radio/TV program Democracy Now!, will be speaking in Monterey, CA

Thursday, July 7, 7:30 pm

Alliance for Community Media Conference
Monterey Conference Center
Stienbeck Forum

Tickets: $20 in advance, $25 at the door
To purchase, call 831-333-1267
For more information, visit ampmedia.org/

For the latest information, check www.democracynow.org/book

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

Commentary :: Alternative Media

Race and National Origin at Pacifica Why You Should Care

Turn on your radio. Spin the dial. Companies like clear channel and Cox own well in excess of 3000 broadcast outlets. That's how most of us get our information. Pacifica exists to counter that. It has only 5 stations, but in major cities, With $400,000,000 in assests and 16 million in yearly budget the foundation is the single most valuable asset of the left. Under one vision it would move to the right, under another it would recruit activists to actually create media.

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

News :: Alternative Media : Arts & Culture

Radio Free Brattleboro Shut Down By Feds

At 6:58 a.m., June 22, 2005, armed with a warrant issued by a Burlington magistrate, United States Marshals entered the studios of radio free brattleboro and seized its broadcasting equipment. The seizure of equipment and shutdown of rfb's local broadcasts under authority of a warrant issued in Burlington comes while an action is still pending before Judge J. Garvan Murtha in the federal court in Brattleboro.

Read the full article...   (8 comments)

LOCAL Announcement :: Alternative Media : Civil & Human Rights : Peace & War

Aaron Glantz: How America Lost Iraq (6/16)

On Thursday, June 16th at 7:30 p.m., Aaron Glantz, an independent, unembedded reporter with Free Speech Radio News, will be at the Capitola Book Cafe to give a talk, and read from his new book, titled, "How America Lost Iraq." This is not the happy story of liberating Iraq and replacing dictatorship with democracy President Bush and the mainstream American media would have us believe.

Capitola Book Cafe is located at 1475 41st Avenue Capitola, CA 95010. Event starts at 7:30 p.m.

Read the full article...   (5 comments)

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds

Account Login

This site made manifest by dadaIMC software