Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Features

Announcement :: Civil & Human Rights : Police State

SCPD General Orders now Online

Santa Cruz Copwatch is pleased to announce the availability of part of the Santa Cruz Police Department General Orders as of 12-29-2004 online.

If you have ever had any questions as to the proper Santa Cruz Police procedure and behavior according to local, state, and federal laws, the SCPD General Orders is probably the most thorough and detailed document available to find the answer. It is also sometimes helpful in finding out what the city expects the behavior of the public to be in certain situations.

The General orders are available at: SantaCruzCopwatch.org/go

More...   (15 comments)

News :: Police State

Military Helicopters Flying Low Over Santa Cruz

At approximately 1:30 p.m. today six large military helicopters were sighted flying over the Santa Cruz mid-county area. They seemed to be flying especially low and, as such, were extremely noisy and obtrusive.

When I contacted Santa Cruz County's emergency services (911) department, the attendant told me that they had no notice of exercises to be carried out in the area or prior warning about the choppers. She mentioned that she had never seen (such a thing) it before, but felt that there was no cause for alarm, that "they were just passing through."

More...   (31 comments)

News :: Civil & Human Rights : Peace & War : Police State

Dropping dead on your doorstep

HUFF activists have been lobbying for years to end the Sleeping Ban, but now that homeless people are dropping dead on the Mayor's front step, it is definitely time to act.

It was against the law to lie down on a bench, but that was the least of his problems. Robert Wagner, 58, of Santa Cruz was dying of cancer. A fatal tumor occluded his airway, and as he slept on a park bench directly outside of Mayor Mike Rotkin's office, he died of asphyxiation. When SCPD Officer Venegas arrived on the icy November 29th morning, he found Wagner's lifeless body. The local paper described his history of alcoholism but made no mention of the cancer.

[ HUFF Santa Cruz I previous sc-imc coverage: March and Vigil Remembering Dead-of-Exposure Homeless Man ]

More...   (12 comments)

News :: Government & Elections : Media Criticism : Police State

URGENT: ACT NOW (!) TO UNHIJACK THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

The 2004 Presidential election is NOT over! There's evidence the election may have been "hijacked" by fraud and that Bush has NOT won. A nationwide grassroots movement is underway to uncover the fraud, get the votes counted (or recounted) and file lawsuits, and YOUR HELP IS NEEDED NOW. Please spread the word, pitch in some volunteer time, help recruit volunteers with legal and/or computer expertise, and consider donating money. The Presidency won't be decided until the Electoral College meets on December 12; it's not too late to Redefeat Bush Again.

Calls to Action in S.F. on Wednesday, Nov. 10 at 12:00 PM: [ Don't Just Mourn, Agitate I Emergency Call to Action -- Votergate!!! ]

More IMC Coverage of the Stolen "Election": [ Portland's sElection 2004 page I Indybay's Government Page I Indymedia.us ]

More...   (3 comments)

News :: Police State

Police State in Santa Cruz

We live in a police state when you can be arrested for speaking your mind!

Accused of being drunk in public, I was abducted from my friends on 10/29/04 and was refused a breathalyzer test.

I had committed no crime. Caring about another human being while they are suffering becomes a crime only when you live in a police state. (read more...)

Mike commented: "I need to meet whoever wrote this article. Today nov 3rd on the corner of pacific and elm street i was punched, tackled, and shoved to the concrete by 3 police because i refused to sit down. If this is the treatment america poses in there oun country i can't even imagine what we do to others. I'm going to find some pictures of this incident since my head is hurting me and my nose is still bleeding. There were 2 people taking pics as the police were beating me."

[ Homeless United for Friendship and Freedom I Santa Cruz Copwatch ]

More...   (92 comments)

Articles

LOCAL News :: Civil & Human Rights : Police State

Agent Walker Found Not Guilty

This morning, a San Jose jury reached a 'not guilty' verdict in the voluntary manslaughter trial of state drug agent Michael Walker. According to a Mercury News online report, a scuffle erupted outside the courtroom when 2 dozen protesters encircled Walker's defense attorney as he adressed reporters. No arrests were made.

Read the full article...   (9 comments)

LOCAL News :: Civil & Human Rights : Peace & War : Police State

Santa Cruz Vigil Against the Execution of Stanley Tookie Williams

On December 12, about 50 people attended a candle light vigil against the death penalty held at the Town Clock in Santa Cruz. The Santa Cruz Chapter of Death Penalty Focus displayed banners that read, "The State will kill Stanley Tookie Williams in your name tonight!" and "Truth Not Vengeance".

Stanley Tookie Williams III was executed in the early morning on December 13 by lethal injection administered by the state of California.

Read the full article...   (2 comments)

LOCAL Announcement :: Police State

Emergency Action - Save Tookie protest Monday Dec. 12

If the gubernator does not grant Stanley Tookie Williams clemency on monday and the execution goes forward for midnight - December 13, we are organizing a car pool to drive to San Quentin for the protest. We will meet at 5:00pm on Monday, December 12, at the Government center parking lot on the corner of Ocean and Water.

Read the full article...   (2 comments)

News :: Animal Rights : Environment & Food : Police State

Feds target Earth/Animal Activists across county

catalyst_raid.jpgThe FBI and Homeland Security agents have stepped up their campaign against anarchists and animal rights and environmental activists. Raids in Arizona, NYC, arrests in NYC, AZ, grand jury subpeonas in OR.

Read the full article...

LOCAL Announcement :: Civil & Human Rights : Police State

Rally Agaist Torture (12/10)

Article 5: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights says, No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or
punishment.

HUMAN RIGHTS DAY DECEMBER 10, 2005
RALLY AGAINST TORTURE

Pacific Ave. & Cooper St. 2 PM to 4 PM

Read the full article...   (3 comments)

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds