Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Articles

LOCAL News :: Education & Youth : Globalization & Capitalism : Labor & Economics : Media Criticism : Transportation

Students and Workers Teach Republicans a Lesson in Solidarity

1.jpgOn Thursday, UCSC's College Republicans held a rally against the striking Metro bus drivers. While publicized all over campus, only a handful of students showed up to join them.

However, having heard of the anti-worker rally, students from the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MEChA) and the Student and Worker Coalition for Justice (SWCJ), who have been very active supporting the bus drivers, were quick to react. They carpooled down to the rally and had far outnumbered the Republicans even before they arrived. While the mainstream media jumped at the opportunity to discredit the bus drivers' union (UTU Local 23), the pro-worker students showed that UCSC is overwhelmingly in solidarity with the bus drivers.

On Monday at UCSC, over 50 students and workers walked into Mike Rotkin's office, resulting in his acknowledgement that the Transit Board made a bad decision. On Friday, students and workers from UCSC will march at 4pm from the base of campus to the downtown Metro Center to show their solidarity.

Read the full article...   (11 comments)

LOCAL News :: Labor & Economics : Transportation

Striking Bus Drivers, College Rupublikkkans and Student Solidarity

healthy_10-6-05.jpgOctober 6, 2005 - The Bus Drivers are on Strike. The College Republicans at UC Santa Cruz organized a rally at the Metro Center to tell the Bus Drivers to get back to work. Therefore, the Student and Worker Coalition for Justice, MEChA and others held a rally countering the College Republicans and in Solidarity with the Bus Drivers.

Read the full article...   (9 comments)

LOCAL Announcement :: Education & Youth : Labor & Economics : Transportation

March Friday to Support Bus Drivers & Get Buses Rolling!

For those of you who don't already know, there will be a BIG MARCH this Friday to support Metro's striking bus drivers in their struggle to get the buses rolling again. With enough support, the workers can get a new contract and things can go back to normal. The details:

March and Rally to End the Bus Strike by Supporting Workers Meet: 4pm, base of UCSC campus, Friday March to downtown's Metro Center for rally at 5

If you can't make it Friday, there's two other actions you can attend:

1) Solidarity rally at the downtown Metro Center Thursday evening at 6pm

2) Show that students support workers and join the Student and Worker Coalition for Justice, MEChA and others in countering the College Republicans Thursday from 12-2 at the downtown Metro Center.

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

LOCAL News :: Arts & Culture : Transportation

Notes from the September 30th Midnight Mystery Ride

sanlorenzo_9-30-05.jpgI was not planning on participating in the Midnight Mystery Ride which took place on September 30. I got on my bicycle to get some fresh air and saw lots of friends gathered outside the Poet and Patriot Pub. They were gathering in preparation for the Midnight Mystery Ride. When I told my friends that I was actually just out of my home to get some fresh air, they suggested that I go on the ride as long as i was up. So, I rode home and got my camera.

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

LOCAL News :: Transportation

Where are all the People? Where are the Buses?

On Tuesday September 27, I went to the Santa Cruz Metro Center because I heard that the bus drivers were on strike.

Read the full article...

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds

Account Login

This site made manifest by dadaIMC software