Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Features

News :: Health & Drugs

Medical Marijuana Limit Now 3 Pounds in Santa Cruz County

Sheriff Mark Tracy was repeatedly praised by members of the Wo/Men's Alliance for Medical Marijuana (WAMM) for viewing the medical marijuana limit in 'medical' terms as opposed to 'legal'.

Tracy recommended that a board of physicians determine the limit.

Following the physicians' recommendation county counsel drafted an ordinance which allows for medical marijuana users to grow '3 pounds of dried product' per year in a garden up to 100 square feet.

see also:
9/21/04: Grass Busts Downtown Criminalize Young and Poor
9/17/02: Cannabis Distribution at Santa Cruz City Hall

[ Wo/Men's Alliance for Medical Marijuana (WAMM) I Santa Cruz vs. Ashcroft I Indybay's Drug War page ]

More...   (1 comment)

News :: Health & Drugs : Police State : Resistance & Tactics

Report from NYC - I'm NOT in jail!

On August 31, nearly 1000 people were nabbed by the NYPD during widespread direct actions around New York City. (A number of medics over the past few days have been singled out and arrested).

The mainstream coverage describes these protests and arrests as "confrontational" and "scuffles," etc, but protesters held their composure and kept to their well-organized plans, despite aggressive police tactics that included orange plastic fencing to keep protesters penned in, and "snatch squads" that targetted individuals standing in the middle of otherwise peaceful crowds.

Actions I witnessed included a "shut up-a-thon" in front of fox news headquarters (there were over a thousand chanting "shut the fox up"), a road blockade by comrades from the bay area, a die-in by members of the war-resisters league, a street party near union square, and lots of arrests. It felt like spontaneous eruptions all over the city, the grassroots pushing up through the concrete at every park and major intersection, strategically non-violent and with powerful messages against the war in iraq, the corporate agenda of the bush administration, and the lies propogated by the corporate media.

more updates: [ Are You A Peaceful Police Officer? I Interviews from the RNC ]

see also: [ NYC-IMC I Portland Indymedia Coverage I Puerto Rico Indymedia Corbertura en Espanol ]

More...

News :: Globalization & Capitalism : Health & Drugs : Resistance & Tactics

Report from New York!

So much has been going on that I can only tell of a few things, a tiny window into the enormity of this protest. I am of course here with my street medic collective from the bay area, working in a larger network of street medics from all over the country, so that is often the angle I get on things, the cops vs. protesters play-by-play and all the injuries, not to mention heat exhaustion (it's in the 90's and muggy here, feels like cancun!).

Things started off Thursday with a banner drop from The Plaza Hotel by four activists who rappeled from the roof with a sign with opposing arrows with "Bush" and "truth" in opposite directions.

Friday night was a critical mass ride (truly massive), with 5,000 riders and ultimately about 250 people arrested, lots of angry motorists, and general chaos in midtown and lower manhattan.

Sunday, as you all may know by now, was ENORMOUS, with at least half a million people marching in manhattan ALL DAY LONG, wrapping all the way around from union square up to madison square garden and back down to union square, a constant stream from noon until about 5 pm.

Today a few marches and rallies are planned, including Still we rise (community organizations from NYC) and the poor peoples' march (kensington welfare rights union). Then Tuesday will be a whole slew of direct actions, so keep your eyes and ears open.

(((i))) BREAKING NEWS: Gov't Attempts Subpoena For Indymedia Logs - Service Provider Refuses

see also: [ NYC-IMC I Portland Indymedia Coverage I Puerto Rico Indymedia Corbertura en Espanol ]

More...   (2 comments)

Commentary :: Civil & Human Rights : Government & Elections : Health & Drugs : Police State

Designed Out of Existance: or why the Santa Cruz Medical Marijuana ordinance doesn't work

maryj.jpgDespite City Measure C passing in 1994, despite State Prop 215 passing in 1996, Despite a local medical marijuana ordinance passed in 2000, and besides a 9th circuit court decision that found that the drug laws are not meant to apply to medical uses for cannabis, no distribution center has been open in the City of Santa Cruz since 2000. Critics say the law is fatally flawed and must be reformed before any distribution centers can open. This article explains why.

It is 2004, eight years after the passage of Proposition 215, the Medical Marijuana Compassionate use Act. An elderly woman walks with a cane down near the levee. She carries cash with her. Her hip joint aches with every movement, her knees also pain her and both her ankles are swollen. She meets her connection and they both look furtively around before they exchange cash for a small plastic baggy of the only medication she has found that helps her to endure her pain without knocking her into a stuporous non-productive state.

Why can’t this woman go into a clinic or health care center and pick up her medication? Why must she sneak around furtively in some back alley getting questionable quality cannabis when the citizens of Santa Cruz voted overwhelmingly (73% in favor) of legalizing the use of medical marijuana?

How to Defend a Medical Marijuana Patient in California

[ Area 420 I Tax and Regulate I California NORML I Marijuana Policy Project ]

More...

News :: Health & Drugs : Police State

WAMM Members Protected From Federal DEA Raids

cannabis.jpgEighteen months after a brutal DEA raid on the Wo/Men's Alliance for Medical Marijuana (WAMM) collective in Santa Cruz County, the seriously ill collective members finally got the protection from future raids and harassment they have sought since filing suit against the federal government one year ago. After reconsidering his earlier decision in the high profile case County of Santa Cruz et al. v. Ashcroft, Judge Jeremy Fogel of the Northern District of California has granted Plaintiffs a preliminary injunction and denied the government's motion to dismiss Plaintiffs' complaint. Wednesday's (4/21/04) ruling will protect WAMM while the lawsuit is pending, and allow the collective to resume cultivation.

"The federal government can no longer ignore the will of the people of the State of California and the City and County of Santa Cruz to protect the health and welfare of terminally and chronically ill individuals," stated Neha Shah Nissen, an attorney with Bingham McCutchen.

"We applaud the Court's decision and we are profoundly pleased as we prepare to replant our garden," said Valerie Corral, co-founder of WAMM. "But we also steady ourselves for a tug of war with the present administration's unwillingness to honor the democratic process."

previous coverage: [ DEA Raids Santa Cruz Dispensary! (9/5/02) I WAMM's Medicinal Cannabis Distribution at City Hall I Audio from the WAMM Pot Giveaway (9/17/02) ]

[ Wo/Men's Alliance for Medical Marijuana I Drug Policy Alliance I Americans for Safe Access ]

More...   (3 comments)

Articles

News :: Arts & Culture : Health & Drugs : Poverty & Urban Development

Common Ground audio history by Malik Rahim and Scott Crow

this is a really excellent talk given by the founders of common ground in new orleans...

The project here is truly showing the potential of a grassroots collective to effect major change and there is real hope that this and other progressive projects can be a powerful force in NO against gentrification and for positive changes on so many fronts.

Read the full article...

LOCAL News :: Education & Youth : Health & Drugs : Labor & Economics

Rally Held to Support Head Start Workers

trabajo_10-3-05.jpgOn October 3, a community support rally for Head Start workers was held in front of the Santa Cruz County Community Counseling Center (SCCCC). The rally was followed by a board of trustees meeting where the workers asked the board to approve a fair contract.

Read the full article...

News :: Health & Drugs : Peace & War

Biological Warfare Used Against War Protestors?

I was in DC over the Sept. 24th weekend. I distinctly remember all the helicopters flying overhead, especially the day after the march, when only the hardcore demonstrators were left. I remember wondering why they were flying overhead when the march was over and thought that maybe they were trying to disrupt the meetings with noise. Now, I seriously wonder if this is what they were up to. Before you dismiss this possibility, you should look into the U.S. Miltary's history of biological weapons development. - contributor

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

LOCAL News :: Civil & Human Rights : Environment & Food : Health & Drugs

"Thank You Santa Cruz!" from Shreveport, Bogalousa and New Orleans, Louisiana

heart_10-1-05.jpgOn October 1, Curtis Reliford, a community organizer and founder of "Brothers Teaching Brothers," held a celebration and informal report back at clock tower in Santa Cruz. The event was a way for Shreveport, Bogalousa and New Orleans, Louisiana to say "Thank You" to Santa Cruz community members for their generous support and donations.

The celebration at the clock tower included food, music and photos of the relief effort from Santa Cruz to Louisiana.

Read the full article...

LOCAL News :: Health & Drugs

Santa Cruz Community Yard Sale Benefits Katrina Survivors

organizers_10-1-05.jpgOn October 1, a community yard sale benefiting survivors of Hurricane Katrina took place at the United Methodist Church in Santa Cruz.

The yard sale was organized by a handful of volunteers. Many people generously donated clothing, books, furniture and other itmes for homes. The response from the community was great! The yard sale was very well attended and money was raised for important relief efforts, including Common Ground.

Read the full article...

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds

Account Login

This site made manifest by dadaIMC software