Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Features

Announcement :: Health & Drugs : Labor & Economics

We Will Shut Down the Safeway on Mission St. in Santa Cruz

Two months after Safeway CEO Steve Burd forced 70,000 families to strike against healthcare and pay cuts, the Bush administration appointed him as a presidential advisor on domestic terrorism.

At 5:00 PM on Wednesday, February 11, we will gather at the Mission St. Safeway in Santa Cruz to send George Bush a message:

Healthcare IS Homeland Security…
and Steve Burd is a Domestic Terrorist.

Our peaceful, legal, disciplined, creative action will effectively shut down the store.

HELP US HOLD THE LINE!: download, print, copy, and distribute this flyer! thanks! (.pdf)

Grocery Strike Reality Check >> "Safeway is not entirely wrong and the UFCW is far from being right. The goals of my remarks are (1) to encourage other "progressives" to research both sides of an issue and (2) to introduce economics into the "progressive" discourse. What I'm about to say will be very unpopular in Santa Cruz. As has happened in the past, I will be branded as "anti-labor" when in fact I am speaking up for workers. What we want in the short term is not necessarily good for us in the long term. People will also attack me for not being a true "progressive." What labor leaders want is not necessarily good for us as consumers, taxpayers, or even workers." >> introduction from: Grocery Strike Reality Check

More...   (10 comments)

News :: Health & Drugs : Labor & Economics

Informational Picketing at Mission St. Safeway Now on Fridays Too!

HOLD THE LINE FOR HEALTHCARE

The Grocery Workers Solidarity Committee will be informational picketing every Friday evening at the Mission St. Safeway in Santa Cruz from 5:30 - 7:00 PM in solidarity with striking grocery workers in Southern California. Informational picketing will continue until the strike and lockout is settled.

The strike by 70,000 Vons, Ralph’s and Albertson workers for affordable healthcare is now past its 100th day. If the giant food chains gets their way, health costs for these workers will rise 50% and put it out of reach for many who make an average of $20,000 a year. The contract for Northern California grocery store workers expires this summer and the struggle being waged in the South will have a big impact on their contract as well as the entire labor movement. The state Attorney General's Office is expected to file a lawsuit Monday alleging the companies are breaking antitrust laws in an effort to crush the union. Questions are also being raised about the treatment of janitors placed at the supermarkets by janitorial contracting companies; evidence suggests the supermarkets knew the janitors were not being paid as required by California wage and hour laws, and permitted the exploitation.

Informational Picketing Continues at Safeway

More Safeway Coverage on SC-IMC:
>> Local Pressure on Safeway Continues
>> 70,000 Strikers and their Families Need your Support

[ Monterey Bay Labor Council's Solidarity Page I Indybay's Labor Page I Update from LA-IMC ]

More...

News :: Civil & Human Rights : Education & Youth : Environment & Food : Globalization & Capitalism : Health & Drugs : Peace & War : Resistance & Tactics

Photos from the Hiroshima Day Commemoration

Hiroshima Day Commemoration in Santa Cruz

At 8.15am August 6, 1945, a nuclear bomb was exploded 500 metres above the city of Hiroshima. It is estimated 140,000 people, mainly women, old men and children, died directly and in the few months after the bomb exploded. Its effects can still be seen today in the survivors and their descendants. Saturday August 9 is the anniversary of the nuclear bombing of the city of Nagasaki. Historical research shows the use of nuclear weapons could have been avoided, and all those deaths prevented, if diplomatic alternatives had been properly pursued. The USA continues to use nuclear weapons of mass destruction, as in depleted uranium munitions, used recently in Iraq.

More...

Articles

News :: Civil & Human Rights : Health & Drugs

Real Reports of Katrina Relief: Sept. 29th Rita Edition

ritaGod\'s_Gift.JPGREAL REPORTS OF KATRINA RELIEF

Eyewitness, politically charged, on-the-ground truth telling from New Orleans
www.realreports.blogspot.com/

Updated: September 29th

I apologize for the slow Real Reports. I've been working 20 hour days traveling between Algiers and Terrebonne Parish, so updates have to be written early in the morning. Thanks to everyone for all the support.

Read the full article...

News :: Alternative Media : Environment & Food : Health & Drugs

Battleground: New Mexico vs Aspartame & Ajinomoto

Deadly Aspartame, approved by political clout of Don Rumsfeld may be banned in NM.
See clip: www.soundandfury.tv/pages/rumsfeld2.html

Read the full article...

LOCAL News :: Health & Drugs : Peace & War : Resistance & Tactics

Anti-War Demonstration Held in Santa Cruz on September 24

On September 24, about 100 people who are "sickened by the killing, torture, and spiraling human and financial costs of the illegal and immoral war in Iraq" held an anti-war demonstration in Santa Cruz. People rallied at the County Court House and marched to the Town Clock.

I got to the rally in time to hear some folk music, take some photos of the Raging Grannies, listen to a guy describe how voting machines don't work, listen to another guy descibe how 911 was an inside job, see Robert passing out flyers about a taser related death inside the Santa Cruz Jail, etc....

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

News :: Health & Drugs : Peace & War : Resistance & Tactics

Real Reports of Katrina Relief Special: One Hundred Thousand

Real Reports of Katrina Relief Special: One Hundred Thousand
2:00am September 25th. Algiers, Louisiana

One hundred thousand people. I read the news from Washington DC that one hundred thousand protestors are marching on the capital, sharing a flood of outrage on our faltering King George, who frankly, doesn't care if one hundred million demonstrated. I look at the pictures from the day and I see marches with multitudes of people, smiles and laughter, and creative props, costumes and actions. I'm sure the people who are participating feel empowered and alive.

Read the full article...

LOCAL Announcement :: Health & Drugs

Community Yard Sale for Survivors of Hurricane Katrina (10/1)

Saturday, October 1st
8 a.m. - 3 p.m.

United Methodist Church
250 California St. in SC
(off Bay Street, next to Neary Lagoon)

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers