Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Features

Announcement :: Globalization & Capitalism

The Honduran Struggle Against Privatization, Environmental Destruction, and Human Rights Abuses

Honduran community activist Gilberto Flores and Jenni Petullo of Rights Action spoke about the history and current political situation in Honduras on April 13 at the Resource Center for Nonviolence in Santa Cruz.

Privatization of public services, the building of mega-dams, deforestation, and harmful mining practices, as well as human rights abuses are among the challenges facing Honduran communities. Flores and Petullo discussed how these problems fit within the context of corporate globalization, international financial institutions, and multilateral trade agreements.

This event provided an in-depth perspective on Honduras, presented ways North Americans can support struggles for global justice.

Audio: Transnational Corporations Cut, Kill, and Export in Olancho, Honduras

[ Olancho Situation I Declaration by Popular Resistence Organization I Project Censored 2004: PPP and the FTAA I Understanding the FTAA I Forcing “Free Trade� on the Americas ]

More...

News :: Globalization & Capitalism : Peace & War : Resistance & Tactics

Brian Avery Speaks In Santa Cruz

b_avery.jpgBrian Avery spoke at the Resource Center for Nonviolence on Sunday, March 15.

Avery arrived in Jenin as a member of the International Solidarity Movement on April 5, 2003. He had been in the West Bank for two and a half months when, after spending six days in Jenin, there were gunshots outside of the apartment where he’d met with two Swedish activists. When the gunfire quieted down the three went out to check the streets. They were about two blocks from the apartment when two armored Israeli vehicles approached the roadside. At thirty meters the vehicle’s occupants opened fire with approximately 230 rounds. The two Swedes were unharmed but Avery was shot through the face.

The bullet entered the upper right side of his nose and blew out the bones of the left side of his nose, cheek and upper jaw. He lost most of his teeth and his left eye was permanently damaged.

Audio: Rockin' the Boat: Brian Avery Talk
>> Brian Avery Interviewed by George of FRSC

comments from Brian Avery: "There were some miscommunications going on in this string, I'd like to clarify that there were not 230 shots fired at myself and Tobias Carlsson but rather 20-30. Also the comments about there being a "fighting zone" at the border when the ambulance was trying to get through is false. There was no combat activity at the time and the detention of the ambulance is standard policy against Palestinian medical crews."

related article: Zionism, Nazism, and Radical Islam

More...   (68 comments)

News :: Environment & Food : Globalization & Capitalism

Mendocino County Becomes First in Nation to Ban Growing of GE Crops and Animals

no_gmo.jpgIn a sweeping victory, Mendocino County became the first county in the nation to ban the growing of genetically altered crops and animals.

Mendocino County voters defeated the world’s largest producers of genetically engineered foods and seed, which pumped a record $621,000 into a county of 47,000 voters.

Under the guise of CropLife America, Monsanto, DuPont, Dow Chemical and a consortium of other biotech multinational corporations shattered spending records in this small agricultural county.

But CropLife America was no match for thousands of Mendocino County farmers, business owners, vintners and families who joined the largest, most successful grass roots campaign the county has ever seen to fight the encroachment of genetically altered crops.

Audio: Free Speech Radio News Story (Streaming Audio)

Related Article: Mendocino Goes GMO Free

Indybay Coverage

[ GMO Free Mendocino I neRAGE I GE Free VT I BioTech IMC I Network of Concerned Farmers I National Family Farm Coalition I BioDev I Santa Cruz / Live Oak Grange ]

More...   (2 comments)

News :: Environment & Food : Globalization & Capitalism : Transportation

Canadian Cyclists Visit Monterey Bay On Their Way to Cancun

bike to cancun.jpgThe Sierra Youth Coalition (SYC) is a Canada wide youth environmental organization. Since its inception in 1996, SYC has worked extensively toward raising awareness around critical social and environmental issues. This summer SYC has its sights set on the upcoming World Trade Organization negotiations in Cancun, Mexico.

Cyclists on the "Deconstructing Dinner: Caravan to Cancun" stopped in Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Salinas before spending a couple of days in Cambria, Nipomo, and Isla Vista. They took the time to visit various community projects in the Monterey Bay area including the Homeless Garden Project and Free Radio 96.3fm in Santa Cruz and ¡Vote!, an organization dedicated to the support and organization of migrant farm workers in Salinas.

The SYC's Deconstructing Dinner campaign aims to provide information dissemination around the complexities of the WTO Trade Negotiations to communities across North America with a specific focus around trade, agriculture, and migrant farm workers.

Audio interview with Amy and Melissa of the Caravan to Cancun (1/2hr mp3)

More...

Announcement :: Globalization & Capitalism : Resistance & Tactics

"Global Village or Global Pillage?" A Public Forum on the WTO

"Global Village or Global Pillage," a public forum on the World Trade Organization (WTO), will take place on Thursday, August 21 at 7:00pm at the Veterans Memorial Hall and will feature Kevin Danaher, Ann Lopez, and Sharon Delgado. This community event will raise funds for the delegation* as well as raise public awareness of the local and global significance of the issues being decided at the WTO meeting in Cancun.

*As the powerful WTO prepares to meet in Cancun, Mexico on September 10 - 15, the Santa Cruz Peacemakers of the Resource Center for Nonviolence are organizing a Santa Cruz Delegation to Cancun to parallel the Peoples' Forum on Alternatives to the WTO.

Update on Peasant and Indigenous Mobilization for WTO in Cancun

More...   (5 comments)

Articles

Commentary :: Globalization & Capitalism

The Monroe Doctrine, U.S. Imperialism and Venezuela

Bolivarian Revolution

Read the full article...

LOCAL News :: Environment & Food : Globalization & Capitalism

Activists in Capitola Expose Victoria's Dirty Secret of Boreal Forest Destruction

capitola-mall_11-5-05.jpgOn November 5th, activists held a protest at the 41st Ave. entrance to the Capitola Mall parking lot. 41st Ave is a very high traffic road in Santa Cruz County. Many motorists honked and gave thumbs up in support of the demonstration bringing attention to the forest destruction caused by the millions of catalogs distributed for Victoria's Secret.

Read the full article...   (1 comment)

LOCAL News :: Animal Rights : Environment & Food : Globalization & Capitalism

Animal Rights Activists Return to KFC on Mission St.

scalded-alive_11-5-05.jpgOn November 5, a small group of animal rights activists demonstrated in front of the KFC on Mission St., a busy road which is also Highway 1 in Santa Cruz. The number of customers in the restaurant quickly dwindled and passing motorists, pedestrians, bicyclists, KFC customers and an employee that encountered the protesters were either very supportive of the demonstration or willing to listen to and learn from the protesters.

I spoke with one activist to find out why he protesting in front of KFC. He spoke about respect and equal rights for all animals and the need for people to adapt a vegetarian diet.

Read the full article...   (2 comments)

News :: Globalization & Capitalism : Government & Elections : Labor & Economics : Police State

Provocateurs Trigger Repression at Summit of Americas

"Here, in Mar Del Plata, FTAA will be buried."

Hugo Chavez

So far 2 independent journalists have been siezed as provovateurs seek shut down peaceful protest at the Summit of the Americas. This year the Summit is in Mar Del Plata, Argentina, where the radical right wing Peronists regained power with the ascension of George Bush in the US. A brigade of 8000 police were assembled to "protect" the summit. What has ensued is a physical enactment of the ungoing war against the poor the US seeks to advance with the FTAA. Five of the 34 counties represented at the summit steadfastly oppose the treaty.

Read the full article...

News :: Globalization & Capitalism : Government & Elections : Labor & Economics : Peace & War

Rove Insider Helped ''Distribute'' Lost Cash in Iraq

Michael Ledeen, a trusted aid to Karl Rove and close associate of Larry Franklin, can provide the missing details in the Rove/CIA Niger Uranium investigation. In the spirit of The New American Century, Ledeen reaped cash benefits as a direct result of the war in Iraq.
Many were recruited through the Heritage Foundation website, where they had posted their résumés. They were paid six-figure salaries out of Iraqi funds, and most served in 90-day rotations before returning home with their war stories. One such volunteer was Simone Ledeen, daughter of leading neoconservative Michael Ledeen. Unable to communicate in Arabic and with no relevant experience or appropriate educational training, she nevertheless became a senior advisor for northern Iraq at the Ministry of Finance in Baghdad. Another was former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer’s older brother Michael who, though utterly unqualified, was named director of private-sector development for all of Iraq.

Money for Nothing
The American Conservative

Read the full article...

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds

Account Login

This site made manifest by dadaIMC software