Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

LOCAL News :: Education & Youth : Labor & Economics : Media Criticism : Transportation

Oct. 7 Photos: Students and Workers Take Protest to Sentinel's Door (Part 4 of 5)

Part 4 of 5 - Students and Workers Take Protest to Sentinel's Door

Friday, Oct. 7, 2005 - Continuing the hard-fought struggle to support local bus drivers on strike, hundreds of students and workers from UC Santa Cruz, as well as many community members, held a brief rally at the base of the UCSC campus before embarking upon a highly visible and chant-filled march to the downtown Metro Center.

Once at the Metro Center, a rally and speak-out was held to discuss the bus drivers' struggle and the great deal of solidarity between various sectors of the community. After many complaints of the Santa Cruz Sentinel's poor coverage of the strike, the community marched over to the Sentinel's offices to greet the origins of their frusteration.

Friday's action, organized by the Student and Worker Coalition for Justice (SWCJ), has been the strongest show of support in the almost two week-old strike. Early last week, students and workers descended on Mike Rotkin's office, leading to his denouncement of the Transit Board's decision that led to the strike. A few days later, a College Republican attempt at an anti-worker rally sank amidst overwhelming UTU solidarity.

Rotkin has called for an emergency Transit Board meeting Tuesday.
1.jpg
Odd which sign this Sentinel reporter choose to carry at the rally...
Click on image for a larger version

2.jpg
After hearing many complaints about The Sentinel's biased coverage of the strike - including the printing of false information - those present at the downtown Metro Center chose to march to the Sentinel's offices.
Click on image for a larger version

3.jpg
Many people had joined the hundreds of students, workers and community members during the rally, bolstering the size of the march.
Click on image for a larger version

4.jpg
At The Sentinel's office doors (which were locked), many people signed the solidarity pledge to be delivered to the paper.
Click on image for a larger version

5.jpg
Eventually, The Sentinel's Editor - Tom Honig - walked into the crowd - where he was immediately questioned.
Click on image for a larger version

6.jpg
There were many people who wanted to share their concerns...
Click on image for a larger version

7.jpg
Click on image for a larger version

8.jpg
...so many people that they spilled all over the street and sidewalks.
Click on image for a larger version

9.jpg
After telling Mr. Honig that they'll be back if the coverage does not improve, the community marched back to the Metro Center, where UTU had organized a line of cars to drive rideless students back to campus.
Thank you to the organizers and participants of this action. For additional photos and/or to re-print please contact sugarloaf (at) riseup.net for more information.
 
 


New Comments are disabled, please visit Indybay.org/SantaCruz

Comments

Re: Oct. 7 Photos: Students and Workers Take Protest to Sentinel's Door (Part 4 of 5)

Who is the Sentinel reporter in the first pic?
 

Re: Oct. 7 Photos: Students and Workers Take Protest to Sentinel's Door (Part 4 of 5)

Wait a minute. If we should boycott the Sentinel for biased reporting, shouldn't we boycott IMC as well? The official IMC policy is to favor liberal and progressive angles. I dont see students against the strike being given fair and balanced coverage. I don't see the Metro being given equal exposure. Nor Campus Republicans being interviewed.
 

Re: Oct. 7 Photos: Students and Workers Take Protest to Sentinel's Door (Part 4 of 5)

Anonymous Poster writes:

"Wait a minute. If we should boycott the Sentinel for biased reporting, shouldn't we boycott IMC as well? The official IMC policy is to favor liberal and progressive angles. I dont see students against the strike being given fair and balanced coverage. I don't see the Metro being given equal exposure. Nor Campus Republicans being interviewed."

1) Unlike any other local news outlet, SC-IMC is an open-publishing newswire. In other words, if you don't see something on our site and believe there should be a story, photos, audio, whatever - go out there, cover it, and post it. We don't have paid staff and all the stories come from independent volunteers who choose what they cover.

2) SC-IMC makes no impossible claim of being "objective" - something that can not be said about The Sentinel. Indymedia acts as an alternative to the corporate press, offering space to those that are traditionally denied. If you seek to understand as many views as possible, I'd urge you to continue reading SC-IMC, many other outlets, and do your own research.

3) Unlike The Sentinel, SC-IMC does not have a long history of encouraging the oppression of communities (especially indigenous, chinese, and chicano) in the Santa Cruz area.

4) Can you link any where in our editorial policy that says we "favor liberal and progressive angles"?

5) You mention that you don't see any interviews with Campus Republicans. Again, SC-IMC does not have staff to do coverage - local community members cover what they want. Finally, you might want to check your facts before complaining - there was an interview with College Republicans in an audio story as well as other audio clips that recorded Republican chants:

SC Metro Strikers Meet Anti-Strikers
santacruz.indymedia.org/newswire/display/18716/index.php

Rockin' the Boat: Metro Strike Heats Up
santacruz.indymedia.org/newswire/display/18720/index.php
 

Re: Oct. 7 Photos: Students and Workers Take Protest to Sentinel's Door (Part 4 of 5)

> In other words, if you don't see something on
> our site and believe there should be a story,
> photos, audio, whatever - go out there, cover
> it, and post it.

So that it can be censored because it runs counter to liberal ideology? I got tired of that.

> Indymedia acts as an alternative to the
> corporate press, offering space to those that
> are traditionally denied.

In doing so, Indymedia justifies the bias of the corporate press, because the corporate press offers space to those that IMC traditionally denies.

> Unlike The Sentinel, SC-IMC does not have a long
> history of encouraging the oppression of
> communities (especially indigenous, chinese,
> and chicano) in the Santa Cruz area.

The same broad accusation can be made of SC-IMC, encouraging the oppression of the general anglo-saxon community, especially of men, the wealthy, land owners, Judeo-Christians, and political conservatives.

> Can you link any where in our editorial policy
> that says we "favor liberal and progressive
> angles"?

The editorial policy is not followed; only invoked to justify after-the-fact the editorial actions of one narrow end of the political spectrum.

> You mention that you don't see any interviews
> with Campus Republicans. Again, SC-IMC does not
> have staff to do coverage

Another straw man argument. Conservative commentary or any commentary critical of liberal thought, action, or priorities are regularly censored here. Free and open discource is forbidden here, and the resulting chill upon free speech discourages reporting from all but the far left perspective.

Why take pictures, why do interviews, when we are rarely even allowed to speak in disagreement? In fact I am surprised this thread has lasted this long. That's unusual, as I've seen the majority of them censored by Indymedia's self-appointed guardians of political correctness.
 

Re: Oct. 7 Photos: Students and Workers Take Protest to Sentinel's Door (Part 4 of 5)

t writes:

"So that it can be censored because it runs counter to liberal ideology? I got tired of that."

Again, as I asked earlier, show me the editorial language that suggests anything about only allowing "liberal" stories. The primary things that are hidden from public view are racist/sexist/homophobic/otherwise oppressive comments.

"Indymedia justifies the bias of the corporate press, because the corporate press offers space to those that IMC traditionally denies.

Again, the corporate press claims to be "objective" and fails at that. Indymedia contains the reports of independent folks who research on whatever they want to. As such, there are no claims for "objectivity".

"The same broad accusation can be made of SC-IMC, encouraging the oppression of the general anglo-saxon community, especially of men, the wealthy, land owners, Judeo-Christians, and political conservatives."

Again, SC-IMC is what people post and there is a big difference between challenging a politically and socially dominant individual's or group's privelege and continuing the historical oppression of specific groups.

> Can you link any where in our editorial policy
> that says we "favor liberal and progressive
> angles"?

"The editorial policy is not followed; only invoked to justify after-the-fact the editorial actions of one narrow end of the political spectrum."

You still fail to produce any evidence that suggests SC-IMC's editorial policy only allows for "liberal" contributions. Unless you want to make the argument that its impossible for a right-winger to write an article in a non-oppressive way.
"Free and open discource is forbidden here"

The only discourse forbidden is that of racist, sexist, homophobic and other blatantly oppressive remarks.

SC-IMC is here as a tool for various movements and folks who aren't given access to other spaces. If you want to make oppressive comments, do it elsewhere.
 

Re: Oct. 7 Photos: Students and Workers Take Protest to Sentinel's Door (Part 4 of 5)

"The same broad accusation can be made of SC-IMC, encouraging the oppression of the general anglo-saxon community, especially of men, the wealthy, land owners, Judeo-Christians, and political conservatives."

Oh. The poor babies. They are being told not to exploit people.
 

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds

Account Login

This site made manifest by dadaIMC software