Santa Cruz Indymedia : http://santacruz.indymedia.org
Home
Santa Cruz Indymedia

Features

Commentary :: Media Criticism

Letter sent to Good Times: College Republicans a Joke

college_rupublikkkans.jpg
Dear Good Times,

Your article on UCSC’s College Republicans was more like a 7-page Republican press release than it was decent journalism. You create the illusion that the College Republicans are on the up-and-up, while failing to see through their ridiculous hype. The Republicans claim that they have “315 students signed up,? while the organization itself can only get a handful of students out to a meeting – the most pictured in the article was 13. This is in stark contrast to other organizations on campus, such as the Student and Worker Coalition for Justice (SWCJ) or Students Against War (SAW), both of which regularly get over 50 students every week. The Republicans have been completely ineffective at actual organizing. They claim to support military recruiters, yet were nowhere to be seen as SAW organized the 300 students that kicked recruiters off campus on April 5. Little more than a week later, the Republicans opposed a strike by low-wage AFSCME workers, while the unions and the SWCJ got over 1,000 students out in the streets, physically shutting down the campus, helping AFSCME win a better contract. This fall, Republicans worked hard to organize a protest against striking metro drivers, only to find that more than two-dozen students from the SWCJ and MEChA marched circles around less than 10 Republicans. These Republicans are not thriving – they’re failing. Yet, the Good Times and the corporate media irresponsibly focus on them. In your article, 7 Republicans are quoted in depth, while the only “alternate? opinion is from the UCSC Democrats’ president – an organization that frequently has more in common with the Republicans than they do with mass organizations like SAW and SWCJ. It’s time for the media to stop encouraging these ineffective racist Republicans who say things such as “we need more black people on the front lines? and “they can shoot all the terrorists, easily spotted by their non-white skin,? – an organization founded by Matthew Cox - one of two frat kids charged by the D.A. for brutalizing a decade old fish. Stop encouraging them and start doing honest journalism.

More...   (26 comments)

News :: Education & Youth : Globalization & Capitalism : Labor & Economics : Media Criticism : Transportation

Students and Workers Teach Republicans a Lesson in Solidarity

7.jpg
On Thursday, UCSC's College Republicans held a rally against the striking Metro bus drivers. While publicized all over campus, only a handful of students showed up to join them.

However, having heard of the anti-worker rally, students from the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MEChA) and the Student and Worker Coalition for Justice (SWCJ), who have been very active supporting the bus drivers, were quick to react. They carpooled down to the rally and had far outnumbered the Republicans even before they arrived. While the mainstream media jumped at the opportunity to discredit the bus drivers' union (UTU Local 23), the pro-worker students showed that UCSC is overwhelmingly in solidarity with the bus drivers.

On Monday at UCSC, over 50 students and workers walked into Mike Rotkin's office, resulting in his acknowledgement that the Transit Board made a bad decision. On Friday, students and workers from UCSC will march at 4pm from the base of campus to the downtown Metro Center to show their solidarity.

upte_10-6-05.jpg
Photos: Striking Bus Drivers, College Rupublikkkans and Student Solidarity || Evening Rally: Union and Student Solidarity at the Santa Cruz Metro Center

Audio: SC Metro Strikers Meet Anti-Strikers || Rockin' the Boat: Metro Strike Heats Up

see also: Bus Drivers to Follow in Cesar Chavez’ Footsteps: Watsonville-Santa Cruz March for Public Transit Set for Sunday || March Friday to Support Bus Drivers & Get Buses Rolling! || Students and Workers Visit Rotkin to Demand an End to the Bus Strike || Support The Bus Drivers, Upcoming Actions, Bike Campaign

previous coverage: Santa Cruz Bus Drivers on Strike

More...   (11 comments)

News :: Civil & Human Rights : Media Criticism : Peace & War

Cindy Sheehan Solidarity Vigil

8.12.05 - Weekly Vigil Stands with Cindy Sheehan

Standing With Cindy Sheehan 08.12.05.JPG
this friday the ongoing peace vigil stood in solidarity with cindy sheehan, the bone in the craw of the criminal from crawford, g. weasel bush.

one woman has finally captured the franchise on truth, and is forcing the president toward accountability.

see also: Gold Star Families for Peace || Portlanders Rally Downtown in Support of Cindy Sheehan

More...   (14 comments)

News :: Media Criticism : Resistance & Tactics

Indymedia and the Media Reform Movement: Reflections from the National Conference on Media Reform 2005

stl-imc_ncmr.jpg
"Why is it media reform? it should be media revolution!" I stepped into the 2005 national conference for media reform with very few personal expectations. i am new to indymedia, just getting back into photojournalism and really need to study up on what's going on within the field... so i asked my fellow san diego indymistas what they might like for me to ask - and set out to see what i could find. happily - it did not take very long... [ read more at san diego imc... ]

This conference was about reformist politics, academic speech, and money. Reformers are generally people that recognize that a problem exists, and use their dollars and sense to rectify that problem. These people exist everywhere. In this incantation the people had recognized that the media may not be telling the truth all of the time and in some cases may also be working or the governement or the corporations that own them in an attempt to trick the people into thinking a certain way or beleiving a certain set of lies... [ read more at portland imc... ]

For me, the NCMR really threw into relief the gulf between the perspective of IMC and the media justice groups versus a media "reform" agenda. Below are some of the reasons I was deeply troubled by the vision of media change articulated by free press and most of the people I heard speak on panels. [ read more from nyc imc ]

I am here in St. Louis, MO attending the National Conference for Media Reform where many of the nation's most prominent left-leaning journalists and media scholars have gathered. Well, that is, many of the nation's white left-leaning journalists and media scholars. [ read more at dc imc... ]

other sources: IMC takes action at NCMR I Pics from NCMR I At Tennessee IMC I At NYC IMC I At St. Louis IMC
more about the conference: I FreePress.net I Download Session Audio I Streaming Video I Other Press Coverage

More...

Announcement :: Alternative Media : Civil & Human Rights : Globalization & Capitalism : Government & Elections : Labor & Economics : Media Criticism : Peace & War : Resistance & Tactics

Dahr Jamail: "Live from Baghdad"

dahr.jpg
Dahr Jamail will be speaking in Santa Cruz at the Veteran's Memorial Building on Saturday, April 9 at 7pm. Tickets available at the door on a $5-$10 sliding scale. Noone turned away for lack of funds. All proceeds will benefit Dahr Jamail's ongoing effort to continue providing independent reports from Iraq.

Weary of the overall failure of the US media to accurately report on the realities of the war in Iraq, Dahr Jamail went there to report on the war himself. One of the few unembedded reporters on the ground in Iraq, his dispatches were quickly recognized as an important media resource for a ground-level view of the war. Dahr spent a total of eight months in occupied Iraq.

Part of Dahr's April 9th presentation at the Vet's Hall, is a slideshow, including many graphic images, of what some commentators consider to be US war crimes. Dahr will also be screening a new film he's put together.

Audio: Dahr Jamial Event Audio PSA | Dahr Jamail on Free Radio Santa Cruz 101.1 FM

See Also: Dahr Jamail: Untold Horrors of Fallujah

Articles

LOCAL News :: Media Criticism : Peace & War

US attempts to defame President Chavez of Venezuela

Sentinel Newspaper dangerously highlights Administration "spin" while ignoring any genuine information on Venezuela.

Read the full article...

News :: Media Criticism

The SHORTWAVE REPORT 1/27/06 ¡LISTEN GLOBALLY!

A weekly 30 minute review of news and opinion, recorded from a shortwave radio. With times and freqs for listening at home. 2 files- broadcast and slow-modem streaming. Free to rebroadcast. Netherlands, China, Cuba, and Russia.

Read the full article...

LOCAL News :: Government & Elections : Media Criticism

Boycott the Sentinel: Over 500 Voices Opposing Alito Ignored

Read the full article...   (9 comments)

The SHORTWAVE REPORT 1/20/06 ¡LISTEN GLOBALLY!

A weekly 30 minute review of news and opinion, recorded from a shortwave radio. With times and freqs for listening at home. 2 files- broadcast and slow-modem streaming. Free to rebroadcast.. Netherlands, China, Cuba, and Russia.

Read the full article...

The SHORTWAVE REPORT 1/13/06 ¡LISTEN GLOBALLY!

A weekly 30 minute review of news and opinion, recorded from a shortwave radio. With times and freqs for listening at home. 2 files- broadcast and slow-modem streaming. Free to rebroadcast. China, Netherlands, Spain, Cuba, and Russia.

Read the full article...

Calendar

No events for this day.

view calendar week
add an event

Views

Media Centers

Syndication feeds

Account Login

This site made manifest by dadaIMC software